Monday, June 9, 2008

Ode to Cocoa Puffs

I need to give a little shout out to my fabulous sister and her child rearing genius. First a little background- I have been trying to get Davis to eat food for about 6 months now... any kind of food- baby food, cereal, veggies, fruit, etc, but it was not going so well. Usually the best I could do would be one or two bites before his jaw clamped shut like a medievil fortress. Well, that was until my genius sister came along to save the day. While in San Diego, Crystal said something like, "well, no wonder he's not eating yet, look at all of that boring baby food you are trying to feed him. I wouldn't want to eat that either. Give him something good like cocoa puffs, I bet he'd eat that." I laughed to myself thinking of course that wouldn't work because nothing else had, but why not give it a try? My desparation to get my child to eat was long past the point where I cared if he ate sugared cereal... as long as he would put something in his mouth. So, we did a little experiment and gave him a cocoa puff. To my surprise and delight, when he put it in his mouth, it did not come back out, and (gasp) he even reached for more! So my love affair with cocoa puffs began. He started popping those things in his mouth like an eight year old in a candy store. I really didn't care about the sugar because at least he was getting a fair share of vitamins and minerals as well. But, little did I know that his love of cocoa puffs would lead to his love for other food as well. We took baby steps... we went from cocoa puffs to trix, and from there to some biscuits and crackers....well here we are a few weeks later, and he will eat peas, brocolli, fruit, bread, just about anything I put on his plate. He still resists things I try to feed him from a spoon, but not as much as before. Anyway, thanks to Crystal and the miracle of cocoa puffs, my little guy is turning into a good little eater. So, thank you Crystal, and thank you cocoa puffs!
Here is a cute picture of Davis in the bath (which he needs more often since he is frequently covered in food these days)

6 comments:

Miller Family said...

Yes! I love being right . . . and useful. Coco Puffs are great.

Tamara said...

Yes, and let us not forget who purchased the Coco puffs and had them waiting for you in the pantry upon your arrival. Chocolate Grandma of course.
I am so thrilled that he is eating real food and giving you a bit of a break.
Hurray for chocolate, your sister a willing Mom and a chocolate obsessed grandma.

Unknown said...

So, we went to a Fablehaven Party at the American Fork Library and Meadow Gold was giving out free chocolate milk, and Davis went nuts. He is definately Tamara's grandson! I might have let him have some of the chocolate from my ice cream bar too...

Melissa said...

Yes I would love to see you in Vegas, the number is still the same. The 338 one. How old is your little guy now? Loved the cocoa puff story!

Holly Hoffman Spears said...

ha ha! congratulations! i have a picky little eater myself and so i finally broke down and gave her chocolate frosty one day. chocolate really does make things better...

The Leavitt Family said...

i'm glad he's finally eating!! jaxon has always been a good eater (and the big belly to show it)The first thing he asks for when he wakes up in the morning is "snack." We aren't going to California till the end of the summer now but if you come to vegas I would love to see ya. let me know and we can get together!